Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Object Lesson


I had a series of phone calls from a prospective client who wondered if her idea for a framing project was possible.  Once she described it, I was really enthusiastic about it--very unusual and it involved 3-D objects (yay!) --and I assured her she called the right place.

Her idea:  a display of eyeglasses in a shadowbox.  A gift for her boyfriend who just had lasik eye surgery.  Very clever.  Here they are just laying in the box to help me visualize the layout and spacing.


The client coordinated with her bf's mother and located the very sweet Harry Potter eyewear from his youth (uppermost), through the ages of wire & half-wire ovals, to the recent very mature designer specs by Armani and Face à Face (lowermost two). 

I decided that this project could and should be done adhesive-free.  I first tried sewing them down to the matboard using elasticized thread for its great gripping ability.  I would only need to sew in two key places.


But then I hated that it was so visibile.


So I used clear monofilament which required each pair of glasses to be attached in four places.  But it looked so much better.  For spacing, I set my topmost and lowermost glasses in place first.


And then spaced the others between.  Since the Harry Potters were so much larger than the other lenses, the interval is greater for those to the one beneath, and all the rest are evenly spaced. 

 

I love the look.  Hunter green with a burl frame always connotes a gentleman's study to me, and this was the intention of the client (with a bit of a wink ;).  Museum glass perfectly completes the exercise. 


No comments:

Post a Comment