Thursday, May 21, 2009

A Taste of Asia

Some interesting asian pieces came through recently. Above is a 4 panel 2-opening job where the top opening is a fan shape. It is a simple looking shape, but yet it cannot be cut on a straight cutter or oval cutter, and also does not exist as a template on a popular computerized mat cutter. The boss had to cut it freehand (I WILL cultivate that skill one day, it shames me that I have not.). I did not ask the customer, but I would expect that these represent the 4 seasons.

And this is actually an oversized job (24 x 60-ish") for the same customer. I am very pleased with the result of the asian-style mat borders: wider on the sides and narrower at the top and bottom to elongate the finished size and maintain the scroll proportion. The customer did tell me that this style of calligraphy is called "waterfall." Also used in the design is a shantung silk top mat, with the grain of the mat running top to bottom, as is proper, and museum glass. Just lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment