Monday, February 23, 2009

I oughta be in pictures...

Part One in my week long series on Frames and Film

Last week a Set Decorator for a major motion picture bounded into the shop with tubes and bags and sleeves of art under her arm. This is the second time I have assisted a Set Decorator (though several have been through the shop over the years). Each needed the completed projects in less than a week, and each competently made decisions with me while simultaneously handled various calls on her cell phone. Amazing.

This time it was 20 pieces, 15 of which were needed for Tuesday (it was Friday at noon). No problem. I would receive frames and mats Monday morning and have them completed for the Tuesday deadline.

So, today is Monday. There was some sort of mix-up at the distributor (the ordering was done right on our end, fyi), and only half the frames arrived. After some calls were made (thanks Mark & Alexa!) the others are sure to arrive tomorrow, and I am certain I can still pull it off by 1:00 pm.
And as is often the case, when it rains it pours. Feast or famine. Or by whatever cliche you like, I had a gazillion other things to occupy my time today, like framing a whole gallery show which I cannot show you just now, and 7 documents for the hospital (right).

Here are the first 7 completed pieces for the movie (left). Maybe they'll make their film debut or maybe they'll end up on the cutting room floor. Oh and some things I learned about framing for film is that one should not frame with stark white mats--they look too harsh on film. We selected a nice off-white here. Also, ALWAYS use non-glare glass to stand up to the lighting. And since the frames and art are ostensibly props and likely to be thrown out, auctioned off, or given as souvenirs, there is no need for conservation glazing and permanent mounting techniques can be used.

No comments:

Post a Comment